This Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes recipe is often requested for social gatherings. These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and full of cinnamon deliciousness. After all these years of making different types of cupcakes, these are the ones people remember! Surprisingly easy to make, these cupcakes don’t disappoint!
The Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes Recipe
You will find real cinnamon throughout the cupcake. Swirled inside the cupcake itself and generously mixed into the buttercream frosting. By adding a light dusting of cinnamon on top of these cupcakes, it gives it a beautiful finishing touch.
The Right Amount of Cinnamon
Cinnamon can be tricky – sometimes you can add just too much and it’s overwhelming. Certainly, this is not the case with this recipe. Although it has the cinnamon spice throughout the cupcake, it is more subtle than overpowering. Also, making and baking these cupcakes with awaken your senses with the enticing scent of vanilla throughout your home.
Spruce Up Your Cupcake
I believe that making a cupcake shouldn’t be difficult. A cupcake can easily be made by baking a vanilla cupcake and frosting it with buttercream. Well, that’s how simple this recipe is! It’s an extra step for the cinnamon – it’s as simple as that. These cupcakes don’t take a lot of work but they succeed in elevating your everyday cupcake. No one will even know how little work it took to make them. 😉 Additionally, they’re a lot of fun to make and they definitely spark creativity.
A Favorite to Those Near and Dear
My mother requests these Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl cupcakes for her birthday every year. In fact, she doesn’t even have to ask, she just expects them. They’re a real treat for friends and loved ones, they’ll love them so much they’ll request them time after time!
This article may affiliate links. If you purchase products through these links I may earn a small commission, it is no extra cost to you and it is means to help support this blog.
Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl. I use my electric mixer.
- Add butter (room temperature), egg whites, sour cream, vanilla, and milk - Mix until smooth (no lumps).
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Place 1 tbsp of batter into each cupcake liner
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of cupcake batter.
- Repeat steps until liners are half way full.
- Sprinkle a little more cinnamon sugar mixture on top of half-filled liners
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with minimal crumbs
- Allow to cool for a few minutes
- Remove cupcakes and continue cooling on wire rack.
For the Frosting
- Mix room temperature butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla, mix until well blended
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and mix until well blended. (Mixture will be stiff)
- Mix in cinnamon until well blended.
- Add in milk 1 tbsp at a time. Add until right consistency.
- Pipe cupcakes with frosting.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.