These Sanded Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy, and flavorful. They can easily be decorated to fit different any Holiday you are celebrating… it’s a very versatile cookie!
Using Sanded Sugar
A trick I use to create a pretty layer of sanding sugar is to use cookie cutters. After baking the cookies for about 8 minutes, remove from oven, place cookie cutter on top of cookies and fill the cookie cutter with sanding sugar. After that part is done, I place the cookies back in the oven to finish baking. It makes the sanding sugar melt and it bakes into the cookie. You can get really creative and use cookie cutters made for any occasion! It’s also really simple to do!
Fluffy or Flat Sugar Cookie
Whichever you prefer, you can achieve either a fluffy cookie or a flat cookie with this cookie dough. If you desire a fluffier cookie, simply roll into balls and place in the oven on cookie sheets. For a flatter cookie that you wish to decorate, use the back of a spoon to flatten the tops. It will prevent the cookie from having a rounded top and make it easy to decorate.
TIP: Make sure to chill your dough for about 2 1/2 hours. If you don’t, your cookies will spread out and become very thin and crisp.
This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase products through these links or images I may earn a small commission, it is no extra cost to you and helps support this blog.
Sanded Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened and unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- Using a large bowl, cream softened butter until it is broken down and creamy.
- Add in sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla and the egg. Beat until fluffy.
- Add in salt, baking powder, cream of tartar. Mix well.
- Stir in flour a little at a time.
- Chill in the fridge for about 2 1/2 hours. This prevents the cookies from spreading.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Roll cookie dough into walnut sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- To get a thinner sugar cookie, use back of a spoon to flatten tops.
- Bake for about 8 minutes and pull from oven.
- Add sanding sugar using a spoon or shaping the sugar by using a small cookie cutter.
- Bake for another 4-5 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are browned.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER DESSERT RECIPES