Christmas is my favorite time of year and I’m always looking for cute and creative ways to make desserts for my family! I decided to give these Christmas hand pies a try and I am so glad I did – they’re the perfect size for a snack! They were incredibly easy to make and even though it looks like they take a lot of work… they take barely any time at all! The best part of these hand pies is that you can use any cookie cutter shape you’d like… my kids wanted snowflakes and Christmas trees!
As I said, it’s incredibly easy to make these pies. Roll out the dough, cut the shapes, fill them with pie filling, place the tops on and seal with a fork, and spread egg wash on them… It really is that simple!
Once these pies come out of the oven, let them cool completely. That way, when you sprinkle the powdered sugar on them, the sugar doesn’t melt into the pie. I use a sifter to sprinkle the powdered sugar because it gives an even coat of sugar on the pies.
I love how fun and festive these Christmas pies came out. They tasted great cold or warmed up slightly in the microwave. They also go well with a cold glass of milk or a cup of hot cocoa!
For another easy Christmas treat idea check out these frosted animal crackers.
Christmas Hand Pies
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- confectioner's sugar to sprinkle
- egg yolk
- Preheat oven t350°
- Simmer cherry filling, cinnamon, and sugar over low heat.
- Roll out pie crust and cut using cookie cutters. Two cookie cutter shapes make 1 pie.
- Line cookie sheet using parchment paper.
- Place bottom crusts on parchment paper and place a small spoonful in middle of the shape.
- Place cookie cut crust on top and seal edges with a fork.
- Using a basting brush spread a thin layer of egg yolk on pies.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Once cooled, using a sifter, sprinkle confectioner's sugar over pies.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES THAT ARE GREAT FOR CHRISTMAS