This article may contain affiliate links. If you purchase products through these links I may earn a small commission, it is no extra cost to you and it is a means to help support this blog.
Chocolate Cupcakes Batter
I add coffee to my batter mix when baking anything with chocolate. It enhances the chocolate flavor but it doesn’t taste anything like coffee. I simply use instant coffee mix and dissolve it in boiling water so that the cupcake batter isn’t grainy.
To make your cupcakes light and fluffy, it’s important to not overbeat the cupcake batter. It helps prevent overmixing by blending the ingredients until they are just combined. Adding the flour and the sour cream in the end will help ensure that your mix will create light and fluffy cupcakes and not dense cupcakes that fall flat.
I use a chocolate bar to make my frosting. I chop up the chocolate bar and melt it using a double boiler. I then add it to the other ingredients. It’s important to beat the frosting really well so that it comes out smooth and creamy. If for some reason the frosting is not smooth, you can make it smooth by heating it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time. It will require refrigeration at this point but it will fix any issues with being creamy. After it has cooled back down, simply beat it once more before frosting your cupcakes.
Chocolate Frosting Garnish
If you wish, you can add a chocolate shaving garnish to your cupcakes. I use the back of a chilled cookie sheet to make the shavings. I spread melted chocolate evenly in a thin layer using an offset spatula and place it in the refrigerator to firm. Before it becomes too cold, I take it out of the refrigerator and use the offset spatula to push the chocolate into curls.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2/3 cup butter unsalted, room temperature
- 6 oz chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line muffin tins with 24 liners.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in 1 egg at a time.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir.
- Add in the cocoa powder.
- Combine the boiling water and the instant coffee in a cup and stir until dissolved.
- Stir into mixture.
- Slowly add in flour and be careful not to overbeat.
- Gently stir in the sour cream until mixed.
- Fill liners halfway and bake for about 15 minutes. Check center of cupcakes with a toothpick.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Melt the 6 oz. of chocolate using a double boiler.
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, followed by the confectioner's sugar.
- Add in the melted chocolate and beat.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: