Moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes piped with brown sugar buttercream frosting and drizzled with homemade caramel sauce.
This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase products through these links or images I may earn a small commission, it is no extra cost to you and helps support this blog.
Vanilla Cupcake Base
There are simple tricks to getting a moist and fluffy vanilla cupcake. Adding egg whites instead of the whole egg creates a fluffier texture. By using a whole egg, it creates a richer and denser cupcake. Using egg whites also makes a whiter cupcake. Overbeating the cupcake mixture creates a denser cupcake that isn’t light or airy. I use a hand mixer on low to incorporate my ingredients without overbeating. If you would like to use whole eggs in this recipe, you certainly can. Add 2 whole eggs instead of 3 egg whites. This will create a more velvety texture and make it a little heavier.
Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting
Making brown sugar frosting isn’t all that different from making regular buttercream frosting. Because brown sugar is grainy, it needs to beat into the butter at the beginning to allow the sugars to break down. This will help reduce the grainy texture in the brown sugar buttercream frosting.
Homemade Caramel Sauce
These vanilla cupcakes are topped with a homemade caramel sauce. This caramel sauce doesn’t harden and isn’t hard to chew. It’s very pliable, soft, and smooth. It’s really simple to make, too! I use a small saucepan to melt the butter and brown sugar together and then I just add in the last of the ingredients. I bring the sauce to a low boil and then allow it thicken for a minute or two. After removing it from the heat, it is important to stir and then allow it to cool before piping it onto the brown sugar buttercream frosting. This will prevent the frosting from melting and it will allow the caramel to be thicker and flow nicer to decorate the cupcakes.
Accessories Need for Piping:
Vanilla Cupcakes with Very Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 2/3 cup flour sifted
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- soft caramel candies
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin tins with 16 cupcake liners.
- Start by adding sifted flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Blend well.
- In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter and sugar until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the egg whites.
- Beat in the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. Do not overbeat.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined and blended. Be careful not to overbeat.
- Bake in the oven for about 14-16 minutes. Check center of a cupcake for doneness.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
To Make Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Beat the softened butter until smooth.
- Beat in the brown sugar until combined well and smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until it is all mixed into the butter. It will be clumpy.
- Add in the vanilla and blend.
- Add in 2 -3 tbsp of milk or as needed to create the desired consistency for frosting. To pipe the cupcakes, you will need a stiffer frosting to hold shape.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and stir constantly to break down the brown sugar.
- Add in the milk and vanilla.
- Turn the heat up to medium, keep stirring until it starts a low boil.
- Stir for another minute or two and remove from heat.
- Allow caramel sauce to cool before piping onto the frosting.
- If desired, top with soft caramel candies.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: